February 23, 2011

People Power Revolution, circa 1986

I was in grade 3 during the People Power Revolution than changed the Philippine president from Ferdinand Marcos to Corazon Aquino. I remember that our household are glued to the television set and watching the events in EDSA.
I remember making the “Laban” sign in cardboards and pretended to be a grown up participating in the rally, which at that time, I have no idea what it was all about. All I know is that there are A LOT of people in EDSA shouting “Laban! Laban!”IMG_1351
When I went to Greenhills last Saturday, I took a picture of the EDSA Shrine (which is a church underneath a huge statue of Mary, Queen of Peace). I haven’t attended a mass yet in this historical church. And this week is not a good time to do so, since we’re commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the People Power Revolution. (Lots of people flocking to this church to attend mass because of the celebration).
As we seen mass protest in countries like Egypt, Tunisia and other Middle-East countries, it’s good to know that 25 years ago, the Filipino people have already shown the world, that the will of the people, triumphs over any form of government.
 IMG_1352 IMG_1430

No comments:

Post a Comment