September 13, 2011

That Elusive Crown

Shamcey Supsup

Miss Universe 2011 Pageant, Sao Paulo, Brazil:

Judge Vivica Fox: “Would you change your Religious beliefs to marry the person you love? Why or Why not?”

Shamcey Supsup: “If I had to change my religious beliefs, I would not marry the person that I love because the first person that I love is God who created me and I have my faith and my principles and this is what makes me who I am. And if that person loves me, he should love my God too.”

That answer of Ms. Shamcey Supsup made her the 3rd Runner Up in this year’s Miss Universe Pageant.

--------

I happen to heard Vic de Leon Lima’s radio program (over DZMM) this afternoon and he interviewed Miss Universe 1969 Gloria Diaz. He asked the Beauty Queen about her experience in the pageant and Gloria Diaz responds “It’s 99% luck. I may not be the most beautiful during my time but I’m definitely the luckiest” (something to that effect).

Ms. Gloria Diaz also gave her answer to Ms. Supsup’s question “I don’t care what his religion is, if I love him, I would still marry him, even if he is ______” (something to that effect also).

I agree to Ms. Gloria Diaz’ belief and answer. If the Philippines truly wants that elusive crown, we should start rehearsing on the Q&A. We should set aside our Filipino beliefs and embrace a more International approach. The Miss Universe embraces a Universal Belief that is regardless of religion, race, social status, etc. 

Ms. Supsup’s answer, from my point of view, stems from her strong Catholic belief. If the judges were all Catholic, then definitely, she could have won the title. The thing is, the judges are not all Catholic, or have a strong affiliation to any religion. So most probably, they are expecting an answer that is more Universal, more focused on Love than Religion. That’s just my two cents.

Another belief of mine (about the Ms. Universe) is that, the winner should know how to communicate in English. Meaning, those who uses an interpreter should not win the title. Why? I can’t imagine the Miss Universe going around the globe, doing charitable works and giving speeches with an interpreter. After all, English is the World’s Language.  

So for me, Shamcey Supsup deserves to have that elusive crown. She’s the 2011 Miss Universe for me because she can deliver her answer confidently in English without an interpreter.

(Photo courtesy of Yahoo! Philippines)

No comments:

Post a Comment